1% of our annual sales will go towards supporting the environment.
Sweets and Spice and Climate-Friendly, Nice!
Our award-winning culinary team crafted the world’s first carrot cake mix powered by SuperGrain+®.
This easy-to-follow carrot cake mix is perfectly sweet with a warm spices. Better yet, thanks to Certified Upcycled ™ ingredients it is extra nice for you and the planet.
A decadent dessert, made with only simple ingredients, plus 2g of fiber per serving thanks to ReGrained SuperGrain+®, an upcycled nutritional powerhouse made uniquely possible by our patented technology.
With each easy recipe, you can finally make super delicious and nutritious foods at home that also help fight climate change!
Bake in a loafpan as a quickbread or in cupcake tins, and indulge while supplies last!
You will need:
1 pouch ReGrained Carrot Cake Mix
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup milk (dairy, oat or almond)
1 cup grated carrots
+ ¼ cup walnuts (optional)
+ frosting (optional)
- In a medium bowl whisk wet ingredients and carrots.
- Add entire contents of ReGrained Carrot Cake Mix to the wet mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Pour batter into greased 2-pound loaf pan OR cupcake tins.
- Top with walnuts (optional).
- For CAKE: Bake at 350°F for ~50 minutes OR ~18 minutes for CUPCAKES.
- Insert a toothpick. If it comes out clean, they are done!
- Allow to cool at room temperature before frosting.
- Serve & #EatUp!
Frequently Asked Questions
Rescued? Upcycled? What do you mean?
We work with our brewery partners to take the grain that they have already used to brew beer. In the industry this grain is known as brewery "spent" grain (BSG), which is a total misnomer given the concentration of awesome nutrients left behind.
Breweries generate tons of this grain every batch, but they used to not have better options for offloading this grain than lower uses such as animal feed, compost, or landfill.
After we rescue this overlooked nutritional powerhouse, we first process it with our patent-pending process to create our SuperGrain+ ingredient, and then put it to best use through upcycling. To upcycle is to go beyond recycling and create products of higher value. With upcycling, we are improving the way we value resources and help create a food system that can do more with less.
Doesn't all the good stuff end-up in the beer?
If you love sugar, then yes.
In a nutshell, the brewing process takes the sugar out and leaves all the good stuff (dietary fiber, protein, resistant starch, magnesium, iron, zinc) behind. There are literally decades of nutritional science research about the health benefits of consuming ReGrained SuperGrain+ (the ingredient formerly known as "brewers spent grain")
ReGrained SuperGrain+ is a bonafide functional food loaded with protein, dietary fiber, prebiotic fiber, phenolic compounds, iron, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and phosphorous. Tap on over to our blog to read up more.
Why is food waste such a big issue?
⅓ of all food grown in the world is wasted. Food waste wreaks economic, environmental, and social costs. A few key facts:
- Food waste is the single largest item sent to American landfills.
- When food decomposes, it releases methane, which is approximately 25 times as potent as carbon dioxide.
- If Food Waste were a country, it would have the third largest carbon footprint globally after the U.S. and China.
- Nearly 30% of the world’s agricultural land is used to produce food that is never eaten.
- All of that food that is grown but wasted consumes 25% of all U.S. freshwater.
- The brewing industry generates tens of billions of grain generated each year. That’s about 2 tons of grain per minute, or approximately one pound per six-pack!
- 90% of the water footprint of beer is represented by the barley supply chain. The water used to produce the grain used to brew each six pack is equivalent to a 2 hour shower. In other words, every pound of grain we upcycle saves over 300 gallons of water.
Want to read more? ReFED is one of our favorite resources.
How does upcycled grain taste?
Not like waste! You’ll be the ultimate judge, but ReGrained SuperGrain+ isn’t just nutrient-dense, it doesn’t compromise on flavor. ReGrained SuperGrain+ boasts a neutral, nutty, toasted cereal flavor. It is incredibly versatile across a range of applications. Chefs and product developers love working with “our flour”, and we love sharing it with you.
But, don’t just take our word for it. We have received hundreds of 5-star reviews from customers who rave about how amazing ReGrained bars taste. Read the reviews on our product pages.
How does your patent-pending process work?
We’re transparent, but not that transparent. Here’s what you need to know:
At the point of production, brewers grain is food. It is literally just grains soaking in hot water. However, due to the high moisture content, it is very unstable and if left unfettered spoils quickly.
We developed the gold-standard food grade process in partnership with the USDA. Knowing that we needed to determine the best option for stabilizing and dehydrating our wet grain from our brewery partners at scale, we sourced and tested various incumbent technologies. None were sufficient, so we invented a new way to do it that be more gentle, energy/cost efficient, with better food safety, and consistency.
Fighting food waste is important, but aren’t you creating packaging waste?
This is incredibly important to us. We were first to market with compostable wrappers, and unfortunately suffered challenges with our bars going stale in the field. We are actively testing the latest and greatest materials, and hope to be able to transition back soon. We are transparently documenting our experience along the way, so be sure to tap over to our packaging page and blog for updates.